3620 Memory Threshold

    Date: Wed, 7 Sep 88 09:32 EDT
    From: JSP@ibm.com (J. Scott Penberthy)

	Date: Tue, 6 Sep 88 17:58 PDT
	From: Spock%SAMSON.CADR.DIALNET.SYMBOLICS.COM@yktvmh.watson.ibm.com (Spock)

	What's the threshold?  We have 1.5 megawords on ours at the moment.  And
	I wonder what the "threshold" on the MacIvory is?

    I had similar problems (?) with the 3620.  I now use 4 Megawords on our
    3620, and it's faster than a 3640.  I found that anything less than 2
    MW results in horrible performance.  I didn't notice any "significant"
    improvement in performance once I passed 2.5Mw.

It's not just 3620's that need at least 2MW.  I was using a 3640 with
1.5MW for a couple of months, and it was incredibly painful.  When I
went back to 2MW it was fine.  My understanding is that Symbolics
recommends at least 2MW for any system running Genera 7.2.

                                                barmar