MacIvory, 3620, and MicroExplorer performance

    Date: Wed, 7 Sep 88 06:02:13 PDT
    From: gyro@kestrel.arpa (Scott B. Layson)

       Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 08:47 PDT
       From: Mr.Spock@SAMSON.CADR.DIALNET.SYMBOLICS.COM (Mr. Spock)

	   Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 08:47 EDT
	   From: Hornig@ALDERAAN.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (Charles Hornig)

	       Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 02:20:48 EDT
	       From: chseow@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Choong Huei Seow)

	       According to Symbolics [this was when I was at AAAI], this MacIvory has
	       a performance of a 3620 machine. Is the slowdown due to the Memory board
	       residing on a Nubus slot ?

	   The slowdown is due to the disks available for the Mac II being much
	   slower than the disks Symbolics now sells on its 36xx line.  We expect
	   this problem to resolve itself as the disk manufacturers realize that
	   there is a market for fast disks.

    Can you give us a rough idea of the CPU speed relative to, say, a 3670?

Roughly, the MacIvory at initial shipment will be 1.2x a 3650 or 1.4x a
3670.  Since the architecture is different, some operations are slower
and some are faster.

We expect future versions of the MacIvory processor to be significantly
faster.