Re: Store and Forward Mailer

    Paul Collier (paul at biosun) writes:

    After many appeals to Symbolics for help, and after their best
    efforts, we still cannot seem to get the store-and-forward mailer
    working on our Symbolics, except through Chaos. Briefly, a description
    of the problem:
	    The darn thing just won't work on TCP/IP!
    Over the last few months, several of the lab members here have
    attempted to get it running, sometimes with Symbolics' help, to no
    avail. One bug in the UNIX 4.2 bsd sendmail.cf file was mentioned and
    fixed, but that didn't fix our problem. Before going into a long
    drawn out description of the problem here in the discussion group, I
    wanted to see if anyone had experienced similar problems. If so, I
    will send email to you directly without wasting slug mail-reading
    time.
    Till then, I will continue to use my SUN for mail. :(

    Paul Collier
    Knowledge Based Systems Lab, Texas A&M University

Well, before I go running to figure out why our system _does_ work,
let me make sure were in the same situation:

	We have a few 3640's and a 3670 talking to each other via
CHAOSnet only.

	The 3670 talks to a UNIX 4.2 BSD machine via IP-TCP only.

	All mail sent from the outside world goes from the UNIX machine
to the 3670 (via tcp/ip) and then is forwarded to the appropriate 3640
(via CHAOS).  The same for outgoing mail.  All mail from one 3640 to another
goes via CHAOS only.

If this situation is the same as the one you want, I'll try to figure out
what tricks were used when it was set up.  Check to see if you set up your namespace
with all the right "service:" lines for the host that uses TCP/IP, in the meantime.

					Michael
					(mkr@philabs)