Re: Welcome to SLUG mailing list

    Date: Thu, 29 Sep 88 20:00 EDT
    From: pan@Athena.Pangaro.Dialnet.Symbolics.Com (Paul Pangaro)

	Date: 29 Sep 88 15:13:22 GMT
	From: gt-eedsp!jensen@gatech.edu (P. Allen Jensen)

	In article <591482385.0.TYSON@IU.AI.SRI.COM>, TYSON@IU.AI.SRI.COM (Mabry Tyson) writes:
	> There is also a national users group SLUG, Inc. that is loosely related to,
	> but distinct from, this mailing list.

	I thought that Sun Microsystems already had taken the name SLUG for
	their Sun Local-area User Group (SLUG).  Is there a potential problem
	here ?
	--
	P. Allen Jensen
	Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250

    The name SLUG was adopted by the Symbolics LISP Users' Group as
    early as 1983; I first heard it then.  Those involved in its
    invention for this use should respond specifically about a date on
    this point to establish evidence as to whether we have prior
    claim.

    Best,
    PANgaro

The first organizational discussion concerning a users group within the
Symbolics user community was held on March 2 or March 3 1983.  These
discussions were held one night at the first course Symbolics Education
Services ever offered, a couple of months after deliveries of 3600's
began.  At that time the name SLUG was chosen.  It was considered
preferable to other pronounceable acronyms, such as SMUG (Symbolics
Machine Users Group).  I don't recall specifics about the formation of
local groups, but there was a regional SLUG meeting in January 1984 for
the southern and southwestern US.  The first national SLUG meeting was
held in August 1984, in conjunction with the ACM Lisp & Functional
Languages Conference and AAAI.

-- Rich