Calling Customer Service for bad sectors

This is the kind of answer I find depressing when I consider the future
of Symbolics.  Every other computer I own, from PC's to workstations, has
included in the system software utilities for fixing bad sectors, reformatting
disks, etc.  Not Symbolics.  Oh, no.  Instead, I am supposed to pay
$2K minimum to have someone from Symbolics drive into town (if, indeed,
there is still Symbolics service personnel within driving distance after
the layoffs) and do it for me.  This is ridiculous.

Why doesn't Symbolics make available to its customers such utilities?