ILA-NFS

   Posted-Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 19:43:16 -0500
   Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 19:43:16 -0500
   From: andrew@linc.cis.upenn.edu

   We have had some problems with file-name translations and have
   had to make some changes in the way logical and physical
   pathnames are parsed.  Specifically, we've had to change
   logical names so that all case information is retained (instead
   of upcasing by default).  Also, the flavor LOWER-CASE-PREFERRED-MIXIN
   which is mixed into unix pathnames is broken.
   (try (send #p"<unix-host>:/foo/foo.lisp" :new-name "bar")
	(send #p"<unix-host>:/foo/foo.lisp" :new-name "BAR")
   (notice the case inversion)

   We've fixed this to work properly along with allowing things
   like README to be accessed (names with all caps).

This case-inversion behavior is fully documented, not a bug.  It is
described in the "Streams, Files, and I/O" manual; look for
"interchange case".  The purpose is to make things like

	(copy-file "<VMS-host>:[DIR]FOO.LISP" "<unix-host>:/dir/")

work as expected (i.e., the result file should be named "foo.lisp",
not "FOO.LISP").  The :NEW-RAW-NAME message is intended for your
purposes.