Preliminary conference announcement - please post

				Revised 1/26/89

			     P L E A S E   P O S T

		P R E L I M I N A R Y      A N N O U N C E M E N T

The Energy Division of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the United States
Census Bureau have pledged some support for a small conference or workshop on
ADVANCED COMPUTING FOR THE SOCIAL SCIENCES.  Thus the following applications
seem most suitable:

			Economics
			Planning
			Sociology
			Geography and urban studies
			Transportation studies
			Policy analysis
			Government

Topic areas include, but are not limited to

			Supercomputing
			Parallel processing
			Satellite tracking & imagery
			Expert systems
			Natural language processing
			Databases and information retrieval
			Computer networks
			Advanced microcomputer applications

The conference is tentatively scheduled for either the Washington, D.C. area
or Williamsburg, Va. in October 1989.  No fee schedule has been proposed;
however, any conference fees will be held to a reasonable level to permit
the broadest possible participation ($200 maximum).

Contributed papers will be accepted at a later date after submission details
have been finalized.  If you have an idea for additional topic areas, wish
to receive additional conference information as it becomes available or
are interested in submitting a paper, please contact

			Lloyd F. ARROWOOD
			Oak Ridge National Laboratory
			P. O. Box 2008
			Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6207