gc-by-area and host uptimes

Could someone explain techniques for using gc-by-area
do you do it to all areas, including "static ones"
if not how do you choose?
what is this slow gc, and how slow is it?

In terms of host uptimes, when I was finishing my thesis, and worried
that if I rebooted nothing would ever work again, I kept
my machine up for a couple months.  Unfortunately, some areas
kept on growing, and I wasn't aware of gc-by-area.
Solution:  Add Paging File
As I got closer to breakdown I just wrote over another world load