Making typeout windows work in DEFINE-PROGRAM-FRAMEWORK

    Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 15:25:56 EDT
    From: cogen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (David Cogen)

    I have a program frame with a small interactor pane and a large display pane
    (among other irrelevant things). The interactor pane is used for entering
    program commands and may also evaluate Lisp forms. The display pane is used for
    graphics. Because the interactor pane is small, I want output to go to the
    display pane by giving it an inferior typeout window.

[code example removed]

    This mostly works; output produced by evaluating a command in the interactor
    window goes into the display window's typeout window. But there are two
    problems:

    (1) It doesn't look like a typeout window. There is no horizontal line below to
    separate the typeout from the obscured graphics beneath.

    (2) The typeout doesn't go away. I want the message "type any character to
    refresh the display" to appear after doing the output.

You directed *terminal-io* to the display pane, not its typeout window.
Just leave out the :terminal-io-pane option entirely.  The program
framework facility automatically directs *terminal-io* to the typeout
window if some pane has :typeout-window t.  I don't know how you would
explicitly specify which typeout window to use for *terminal-io* if you
had more than one. :-)