Hardened LispMs

    Date: Fri, 17 Mar 89 05:31 PST
    From: Gumby@MCC.COM (David Vinayak Wallace)

	Date: Fri, 17 Mar 89 10:22:13+0900
	From: kddlab!atr-la.atr.junet!myers@uunet.UU.NET (John K. Myers)

	There was a rumour about two years back that TI was starting
	work on a hardened Lisp Machine that would a) be about the size
	of an IBM-PC or smaller, and b) be designed to operate in helicopters,
	tanks, etc.  Is MCC trying to do this kind of thing too?  Does
	anyone know whether this project actually got started, and what
	its current status is?

    MCC has been contracted by and has delivered to SDIO a "hardened" lisp
    machine for phase I of SDI.  That is, able to withstand 30ATM
    overpressure, immersion to 600 meters, EMP, and cafeteria food.  The
    hardened machine, sufficient for running any existing lisp application
    comes with 500K words of memory, a 30-key keyboard, and 7-segment
    display, selling for $186,000 each (qty 50).  An optional
    flame-retardent mouse is an additional $30,000.

    We have submitted a bid for phase II, which we think can be accomplished
    by 1995.  Phase II involves re-entry against hardened targets, high
    resistance to religious zealots and connectionism, and low radar and
    congressional profile.  Projected cost: $1.2M/qty 50.

    Please do not reveal this information to non-US citizens.

My God!  It's full of stars!