Symbolics Apocrypha

    Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 11:21 EDT
    From: Qobi@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jeffrey Mark Siskind)

       Date: Mon 10 Apr 89 10:34:50-PDT
       From: Wilber@Score.Stanford.EDU (Mike Wilber)

	   Date: Sun, 9 Apr 89 20:44 EDT
	   From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

	   I = Ivory
	   G = Gate-array
	   L = LSI ?
	   A = ? (LM-2 was the A-Machine)

       well, i won't presume to say what they mean nowadays, but back in '85, my
       salesman told me that they had a four-generation sequence planned out, where
       the then-current generation was called the l-machine, the next generation
       would be called the i-machine...

    I was always under the impression that "I" stood for "integrated", that
    "S" stood for "super" or "server", and that "P" stood for "parallel". From
    what I remember that our sales rep told us informally back in 1983 that the
    S machine was supposed to be 10X an I machine and was intended to be a shared
    resource compute server.

Well, at a party I met someone who knew someone who once talked to Dave
Moon, and he said that the sequence was supposed to be "ALGORITHM."
However they screwed up and anyway the stock price needed to be
bolstered quickly so the sequence is now "ALGIN."  Supposedly the
N-machine is to be made from some sort of organic superconductor, hence
the name.