Symbolics announces improved Ivory chip

    Date: Fri, 12 May 89 19:29 PDT
    From: Gumby@MCC.COM (David Vinayak Wallace)

	  Date: Fri, 12 May 89 14:01 PDT
	  From: TYSON@warbucks.ai.sri.com (Mabry Tyson)

		   ...the MacIvory model II is 75% faster on the Gabriel
	  benchmarks than the MacIvory model I.

    That's interesting -- I'd thought that the limitation was the speed of
    access to memory (both bus bandwidth and disk bandwidth).  Did they
    improve the paging performance, or was the old chip just a dog?

Gumby, surely you know that the Gabriel suite (except for the Boyer
benchmark) specifically targets processor performance, without regard
to paging.  If they speed up the processor and its cache memory, the
Gabriels will go faster - but you'll still have to sit and wait while
swapping windows.