Monitor failure when case is on...

OK...I was hoping someone might have had the same problem and knew how to
fix it...

Problem:

When my monitor (a Philips) is fully assembled, it won't work.  I turn on
the power, I hear the electrons flow 8-), but the screen won't come up, and
the red LEDs (that normally say FOO at startup) are black.  Every once in
a while, I'll hear some kind of electrical "pop" (more like a click) and the
monitor will brighten for half a second, and the red LED's will flash.  The
sound is not unlike a sudden capacitor discharge, or a static shock.

So, I take the top cover and right side of the monitor off (we just
gave up our hardware contract, figures) and the thing works like a charm.
Put the case back on, and the problem reappears.

The problem is NOT related to temp.

I tried turning off the light to see if there was some shorting going
on, but I saw nothing.

If anyone has had this happen to them, and remembers what the prob was,
I'd be greatful for the info.

I'm using Genera v7.2  8-)

1READ THIS:  Do NOT mess with the inside of your monitor unless you are
confident of your ability to handle LOTS OF VOLTAGE.  BE CAREFUL.

0					Thanx,

					Michael
					mkr@philabs

These ideas and opinions are mine alone.