Re: Tar backups

    Date: Tue, 30 May 89 11:21:39 pdt
    From: randy@atc.boeing.com (Randy Groves)

    Haven't investigated further for a while, but when we tried to backup
    files using Bill York's suggestion, we could backup the files just fine, but
    when I tried to restore them, as a test, all we got was a few 0 length
    files created before tar barfed.  Possibly some authorization problem, or
    something else - and as I said, I haven't had time to investigate futher.

This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but to retain the correct
version numbers, you should do a

(setq nfs:*newest-versions-of-files-appear-to-unix-without-version* nil
      nfs:*newest-versions-of-files-appear-to-unix-with-version* t)

on your lispm server before doing a tar dump of it.