flaw in VT100 terminal emulator

  I am using the terminal program on a serial line connected to a
Decserver 100.

  Things are fine until I try to use GNU emacs. New characters do
not overwrite old characters thus making it very difficult to edit a
file. I must use ^L to rewrite the screen repeatedly.

  The host that I am trying to edit a file upon is a VAX running
VMS. I am running Genera 7.2 with patches from ECO tape #1.

  I have the UNIX termcap entry for Symbolics computers which
Hunter Barr posted to comp.lang.lisp. I am not at all familiar
with the administration of a VMS machine.

  Thank you for any reply.

				Sean Brunnock