NEED ADVICE - MACHINE FOR EXPERT SYS. Development

The best advice I can give you is to get a Lisp Machine.  You said it
may not be appropriate, but if the goal is LISP development, then the
Lisp Machine has by far the most appropriate environment

If you are really forced to do your development on another machine,
the cheap solution is a Sun3, but be sure to put lots of memory in it
(at least 16Mb, 24Mb if you can.)  And use Gnu Emacs as your
environment.  I have been using Lucid Common Lisp and Franz Allegro
Common Lisp, both of which have hooks which use Gnu Emacs.  (BTW, I
develop on a Symbolics, and a MacIvory, and then I port it to the Sun3
and Sun4 for anybody who needs my stuff there.)
                            ______
                            HUNTER