packet buffer problems

    Date: Tue, 8 Aug 89 17:58 EDT
    From: kkoile@PRC.Unisys.COM (Kimberle Koile)

    Does anyone have a fix for a machine wedged with a Packet Buffer
    problem?  There's been an increase in traffic on our network and the
    machine's been getting stuck once every few days (especially when Sun
    users spool postscript files to the LaserWriter).

      Thanks,
	Kimberle

    And I've already heard, "Gee, I haven't seen that in years.  Haven't a
    clue."  So no need to send that response.

If the Suns are keeping connections open, then some packets will be held
up in the connection.  It isn't good practice for a server to hold onto
lots of packets but it can happen.  If you have a lot of traffic, then
you should increase the number of packet buffers available to the
machine.  This is what we put in the lispm-init.lisp file for our file
servers here.

(setq neti:*maximum-number-of-wired-packet-buffers* 400.
      neti:*target-number-of-wired-packet-buffers* 200.)