color problems with macivory

I am trying to draw color objects on the MacIvory by just using
the :color keywords to graphics:draw-xxxx.  I want the colors to
be drawn on a black background but it doesn't work, all colors turn
out white.

I can get the behavior that I want by:
   1.  Draw the object on a white background... Everything is O.K.
   2.  Change the screen to a black background... Object's color is
       now complemented.
   3.  Send the screen a :refresh message... Color is back to the proper
       color.

I don't think I should have to go through all this in order to get the
behavior that I want.  Any suggestions?