Re: Genera v.s. Allegro on DECstation 3100

   Date: Thu, 31 Aug 89 09:54 PDT
   From: Siskind.pa@Xerox.COM

       Are there any Symbolics users out there who have some experience with
       FRANZ' Allegro CommonLISP on the DECstation 3100. Currenly we do most
       of our development on two LISPMs, but recently we purchased two DECstations
       3100 so now we plan on running LISP on them. We are especially interested
       in the development environment (editor, debugger, inspector etc) as compared
       to Genera.

   Actually, I am interested in knowing how FAST Allegro CommonLISP is on the
   DECstation 3100. When I looked at the DECstation 3100 about a year ago, I
   did not have access to any Lisp so I ran some of my C programs as benchmarks.
   I found that the 3100 ranged from 2 to 4 times faster than a Sun-4. I wonder
   if the same speedups would occur with Lisp. Has anybody run the Gabriel
   benchmarks for the various CommonLisps that are available for SPARC and
   the 3100 and compared them to the 3650 and the XL400?
	   Jeff

actually, we ran the gabriels and some of our own private benchmarks on the
dec 3100 and a sparcstation 1 just recently, and got numbers that are very
comparable (like usually within 10%, almost always within 20%), with the 3100
garbage collecting slightly more often (16MB RAM on both of them)...cheers
-- mike
-------