Symbolic spreadsheets.

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 89 11:04 PDT
From: Robert D. Pfeiffer <RDP@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Symbolic spreadsheets.
To: SLUG@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

I welcome any advice on the following topic:

Let's imagine writing a spreadsheet interface using the UIMS in Genera.
Presumably the functionality to use is FORMATTING-TABLE with ACCEPTs
inside of the table cells.  I think this would work fine with the
following exception.  I'd like to provide the ability to lock the
topmost row and the leftmost column against getting scrolled off the
screen.  They need to remain visible to the user because they provide
column headings and row indices.

Does anyone know how can I do this?  It seems to me that I need to
provide a keyword option to either FORMATTING-COLUMN-HEADINGS or
FORMATTING-ROW (or FORMATTING-COLUMN) to do something like this.  Since
nothing like this seems to exist, I have a possible workaround in mind.

The idea is to split up the single window pane into three -- one for
column headings, one for row indices, and one for spreadsheet contents.
Then I'll have to write the appropriate scrolling commands to make this
work properly (e.g. Scroll Down will scroll the indices and the contents
pane, but not the headings pane; Scoll Left will scroll the headings and
the contents pane, but not the indices pane; etc). Comments on this
approach?