Re: It's Alive

   From: "Eric S. Crawley" <ESC@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

   I assume that the host that has been deleted is an IP gateway.  Gateways
   are
   listed in the Interfaces section of the Internet information in the PEEK
   Network screen.  In 7.2, the code that finds gateways is only run at boot
   time
   and network reset time.  When it is run at boot time, it quite often does
   not
   find any changes.  In 7.4, there is a later check that makes sure the
   gateways
   are up to date.  This check is also run after :Reset Network in 7.4.

   If the host is a gateway, it is cached by IP in 7.2.

Yes, the "phantom" machine is indeed a gateway. The people who maintain
the unix boxes around here periodically run this thing that monitors
network traffic. When this happens I get a message telling me to stop
the lisp machines from sending out useless packets to a non-existent
machine. The symbolics' must keep trying to contact the gateway to see
if it has come up. Why don't they just wait until I try sending something
through the gateway?

Thanks for everyone's input. When does 7.4 get released?
--
Bill <bouma@cs.purdue.edu>  ||  ...!purdue!bouma