Re: It's Alive

    Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 12:25:15 CDT
    From: Robert D. Pfeiffer <RDP@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>

	Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 15:45 EDT
	From: miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller)

	    Date: Thu, 21 Sep 89 12:16:28 CDT
	    From: "RDP%ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"%ALAN.kahuna.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM

	    What about adding an entry to a feature request list at Symbolics?  The
	    desired feature is the capability of allowing users to turn on namespace
	    auto-updating (at small sites,naturally).  Any chance that this
	    would be doable?

	It's probably just as easy to make each machine a secondary server, then it
	updates itself a *lot* more often.

    It seems to me that I've heard there are problems with using secondary
    servers.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I don't know of any problems caused by using secondary servers.  We use them
all the time.  If your site is small (< 10 lispms), it probably would work
well to have all your machines become secondary servers.  Secondary servers
force a namespace update every 15 minutes.  You will use up a bit more space
on each machine storing every object in the namespace but it shouldn't be much
more than you already have at a small site.

The methods I listed in my previous message would also work if you have a
larger site or you don't want all the machines to be secondary servers.