who calls database

A Symbolics tech support person asked me if I had enabled the who calls
database the other day.  I said I hadn't done anything explicit and that
seemed to imply that I hadn't given their response.  Wanting to find out
more I looked in my 7.2 documentation and saw that the database is
automatically enabled by Set Site.  Is the documentation correct (and
thus I inferred the wrong thing from the Symbolics rep's comment)?  Is
it different for 7.4?

If I do :optimize world, will it automatically compress the who calls
database or do I need to do that as a separate step?