Advice sought

    Date: Wed, 20 Dec 89 15:08:05 EST
    From: jim@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Jim L. Washburn)

	    So I wonder if there is some way to open communications streams
    from other computers to the host and download/run programs in the MX.  For
    example I am sitting at home, logged in to our VAX.  I would like to tell
    the Symbolics to load the program in ELM:>jim>sys>program.lisp into the
    MX and return the results to me here on the VAX.

The Genera system includes a TELNET server.  So, you can telnet from
your Vax to the Lispm.  The TELNET server starts up a Lisp Listener.

The main things you are missing in this situation are multiple windows,
the mouse, and asynchronous input.  The first two you mentioned as being
unimportant in this situation.  The third can be frustrating, as it
means you can't do things like Control-Suspend and Control-Abort, which
interrupt the program (if you really need to interrupt a program, you
can open a second connection, and then use the Debug Process command to
debug the first process).

By default, if anyone is logged into the Lisp Machine, TELNET
connections are refused.  You can use (NETI:TELNET-SERVER-ON) to turn it
on.

                                                barmar