RTAPE getting stuck? (UX400 accessing remote Sun)

In trying to restore a distribution that is actually two (2) tapes long
using a Unix host's tape drive, on the 916th file, I start getting a
rash of errors.  I'm not certain whether the tape is bad, the files are
bad, OR RTAPE SCREWS UP AT THE END OF THE FIRST TAPE?  Is the last
hypothesis likely?  Will Restore Distribution recognize end of tape when
a Unix box owns the drive?  (I know, I'm grasping for straws.)