UX400S: a decent machine

 >From: dmitchell@backus.trc.amoco.com (Donald H. Mitchell)
 >Subject: UX400S: a decent machine
 >To: slug@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM
 >
 >Having used the UX400S for several months now, I am glad to announce
 >that this machine is fast and relatively trouble free.  From what I
 >understand, however, it is not selling up to Symbolics's expectations.
 >Why not?

One reason is that Symbolics' sales staff cannot answer technical questions!!
I hope that you can help us.

 >  It's cheap (approx $20K for a development system).

How much does an entire system cost (including Sun hardware etc)? We are
spending a total of $32k (including Mac IIx, monitor, disk etc) on a MacIvory,
and we're wondering what a complete UX400S system would cost. Our local
Symbolics sales people have never been able to answer this question.

Also, What type of load does the UX400S present to other users of the Sun
system? I guess I'm asking if it is reasonable to put one into a deparmental
machine.

 >  Many users can access it at the same time.  The board has no
 >preferred host; it merely supports X with full Genera windowing.  If
 >your applications are polite, the users won't even step on each others
 >toes.  My delivery architecture for one of my applications is to put
 >one UX400 on the network for every 4 potentially simultaneous users
 >(approx. 20 real users).

Can more than one user be logged in at once, or is it that your application
can support more than one user at a time? Once again, my local salesman and
his area boss could not answer this one either.

Thanks for the time

Jack Greenbaum
jackg@cogsi.ucsd.edu