statice port to Unix

>From:  RDP@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (Robert D. Pfeiffer)
>Newsgroups:     BCR.DIGEST.SLUG

Albert Boulanger (aboulanger@bbn.com; BBN Systems & Technologies Corp.)
raises the issue of Statice availability on Unix.

>       Integrate Statice with CLOS (I know I've already said this in mail on
>       Genera-8-0-Beta but I'm trying to be a squeaky wheel :-) ).  What I'd
>       like to be able to do is to write Statice DEFINE-ENTITY-TYPEsand CLOS
>       DEFMETHODs.  Another thing we might like (although for us the priority
>       definitely wouldn't be as high) is Statice running on a Sun.

Is there anyone else interested in running Statice on a SUN?  We are
contemplating requesting that Symbolics make a Unix port.  We are also
considering if we should pay Symbolics for the port. If we are the only
potential client for this product, then it is reasonable for us to pay
the porting cost.  However, if there is a sufficiently large potential
market out, the cost of the port would be more manageable for us.

If you are using Statice, and have experience with other object-oriented
or semantic databases, and have a real project where you can use an
OODBMS running on Unix, please post a note to slug and reply to me also.
(Whether you can pay for the port is irrelevant at this point.) In order
to get a realistic survey, please reply to me only if you meet all three
criteria.

I will post the results of the survey in 14 days.

Thank you,
	Leslie Walko		attila@bellcore.com