telnet

    Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 11:18 PST
    From: JFK@Bold-Eagle.Varian.Dialnet.Symbolics.Com (Joe F. Karnicky)

	Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 09:56 EST
	From: DLA@JASPER.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (David L. Andre)

	    Date: Fri, 16 Feb 90 07:11:10 MST
	    From: riedesel@daneel.den.mmc.com (Billy Joel)

	    Simple question (I hope).

	    How do you enable the telnet service on a symbolics?
	    Specifically.  I am logged in on it.  And when I check enabled services,
	    it says they are all enabled.  At the same time I want to telnet to
	    the symbolics from elsewhere, but I get a connection refused.

	    This should be easy shouldn't it?

	It's as easy as clicking on Show Candidates TELNET in the document
	examiner.

	If you'll do that, you'll discover the function (net:remote-login-on).

    This seems to depend on the network being used.  I am unable to
    remotely login to my LISPM from a vax across DNA.  Statements in the
    on-line documentation indicate that the TELNET and SUPDUP protocols are
    only supported by the CHAOS and TCP media.   Also, there is no LOGIN
    service listed among the DNA protocols supported by Symbolics computers
    as servers.

REMOTE-LOGIN-ON turns on the *permission* to login remotely.  Whether or
not you have compatible software is a completely different issue.

                                                barmar