type [3] informational - SN 2227

When using Formatting Table, I'd like a cell in a row to have
one or more lines (a cell might have one line of info, or more,
while another cell in the same row may have a different number
of lines).

I've tried many combinations of printing functions, and the
brief questions are (a) is it intended that you be able to do
this (b) if so, how (c) does writing to a window larger than
the pane it is being displayed in affect things?

I can elaborate what I've tried, but I just wondered if there
were a straight-forward answer.