FS:DIRECTORY-LIST & IP-TCP/FTP

Stephen L. Nicoud comments on TCP-IP doing a directory listing for the whole
directory (rather than specific file) when saving a new file on a Unix host.
On the UX400S running NFS, I see the same behavior everytime I save a file.
It is disturbing (especially for large directories).  Could it be related to
trying to figure out the version numbers (even for versionless directories, it
saves version numbers sometimes (I think only when the old file is held by a
process and the Symbolics doesn't want to delete it even if the Symbolics is
holding the handle due to slow release)).