MacIvory RPC

    Date: Fri, 18 May 90 14:21-0000
    From: peter@skywalker.ENTERPRISE.dialnet.symbolics.com (Peter Magee)

	Date: Thu, 17 May 90 10:54 EDT
	From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>

	    Date: Mon, 14 May 90 16:14-0000
	    From: peter@skywalker.ENTERPRISE.dialnet.symbolics.com (Peter Magee)

	    We have a MacIvory here and we want to talk between it and HyperCard.
	    The demo system shows me how to call intiate transactions from HyperCard
	    but I want to be able to initiate a transaction from Lisp.  Is there a
	    simple way of doing this. I want to do as little C programming as
	    possible.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

	    PTMagee

	I think you would have to call the Macintosh routine "Launch" to start
	up the HyperCard application.  When you launch an application you can
	tell it what file to operate on (this is what the Finder does when you
	open a document rather than opening the application), so you should
	specify the stack that implements the communication with Lisp.  This
	assumes that your goal is to have Lisp query Hypercard for something.
	If your goal is just to put the user into an interactive Hypercard
	session then you can just launch Hypercard with no document file and it
	will go to the default home stack.

							barmar

    As Launch can only be called from Assembly language I assume the
    worst - I have to get my hands dirty in some non-lisp hacking.  I assume
    that the disclaimer in the Symbolics example that it was only supposed
    to point the way means that I cannot hope to use it to do what I want.
    Ok - Thats life in the big city.

    Thanks

    PTMagee

In Genera 8.0, you can make an RPC call to launch applications.  The
function is called MTB::LAUNCH-MAC-APPLICATION and is documented.  (Be
warned, however, that Macintosh System Software 7.0 will break this
mechanism.)