text formatting windows

    Date: Wed, 23 May 90 14:48:16 EDT
    From: rpg@cs.brown.edu

    Does anyone have code I could use for this purpose?

    I'm looking for the ability to do something like

    (format-text-as-paragraph <a long string> window-stream)

    I'm not looking to do anything fancy -- just splat a help message into
    a typeout window, ragged-right.  It just seems silly that with all
    that other great stuff out there (e.g., formatting-table) I should
    have to go through the whole rigamarole of positioning the cursor in a
    window and drawing strings char-by-char, or the equally onerous task
    of formatting the help message ahead of time for a particular
    window...

    Do any of you have such functions?  Or is there something in the
    manuals that I've overlooked (quite possible)?

    Thanks,

    Robert

How about:

 (FILLING-OUTPUT (window-stream :FILL-COLUMN '(80. :CHARACTER))
   (format window-stream <a long string>))