OK, so I have a package reference in my init file...

    Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 21:15 EDT
    From: pan@Athena.Pangaro.Dialnet.Symbolics.Com (Paul Pangaro)

    ... but the world I load might not have that package defined (either
    yet, or will never at all). How can I put a reference to the package in
    my init, but with a test so I dont crash on undefined package for the
    worlds where that aint loaded. (Using package bind does not help but I'm
    not sure why that crashes too, even though I no longer have a form like
    package-name:symbol)

     Am I thinking about this correctly? Thanks.

    Best,
    PANgaro

At Graphics we've had to handle this periodically.  It comes down to

 (when (find-package "FOO")
   (let ((mumble-sym (intern "MUMBLE" 'foo)))
    ...))

Forsooth, this is about the best one can do...