Jay Wurts speech at Slug-90

        I "accidentally" left my portable tape recorder turned on
    during  Jay  Wurts opening speech at the  SLUG-90  conference
    this  past week at Stanford.  Due to a long and boring  plane
    ride  back to Florida,   I had time to transcribe his  speech
    into  this  mail message.     He had  some  very  interesting
    comments  and  I know a number of people were  interested  in
    getting a copy of what he said.  I don't know if anyone  will
    get  upset by this, but here is a transcript of Jay's  entire
    speech (minus the parts that he actually said "don't quote me
    on  that").   Some  of the contents have  already  helped  me
    convince upper management that we're on the right track  with
    Symbolics.   Hope it can help others as well.  Please  excuse
    any  spelling errors, there's no Meta-X Spell Region on  this
    machine and the Symbolics laptop isn't out yet.

                                      Jim Dumoulin
                                      NASA / Kennedy Space Center

     Symbolics  Management  Presentation Speech  by  Jay   Wurts,
    President of Symbolics Inc.  Presented to the Symbolics  Lisp
    Users Group (SLUG) at Stanford University on June 20, 1990.

    Hello,  I'm Jay Wurts and  I'm glad to be here.  I'd like  to
    welcome everyone to SLUG.  I wish we had weather like this in
    Boston all year around.  Paul (Pangaro) has introduced a  few
    of the senior people that are here from Symbolics but I  just
    want  to  make doubly sure that everyone knows them  so  I'll
    introduce  them again.

    I  think he mentioned Ken Tarpey, Ken will you  please  stand
    up.   We were extremely lucky to get Ken.  Ken has been  Vice
    President  of  International Service at Computer  Vision  and
    Vice  President  of Service at Prime Computer (which is  a  2
    billion dollar company that has been thru some pressure also)
    and it was an excellent opportunity for Symbolics to get some
    very very experienced management talent in the service  area.
    He  got the service area brought under control  very  quickly
    and in a couple of months was promoted to be in charge of the
    entire  Genera business unit.  Jack Slaven, who most  of  you
    know  very well.  Jack is an expert of getting customers  out
    of trouble, so if there's anyone in trouble either  partially
    or  completely brought about by Symbolics, Jack likes to  fix

    those  sorts  of  things.   So,  don't  sit  and  stew,  call
    Symbolics.

    Also  on the front row is Ken Sinclair.  Ken has been one  of
    our  very  senior  developers and when  we  reorganized  very
    recently  to  put  much  much  more  attention  on   software
    delivery, we put Ken Sinclair in charge of it because he  had
    the  best  record of anyone in the company  of  delivering  a
    software  project  on time.  He was in charge of  the  UX-400
    team and he got that project done in a small number of months
    with  a  very  small team. We wanted to take  no  chances  on
    software delivery on CLOS and CLIM so we brought Ken into the
    effort.   Also,  who joined that effort 2 or  3  months  ago,
    because of the extreme importance of it was David Moon in the
    back.   As many of you know, we are extremely  serious  about
    software delivery and one of the ways to be serious about  it
    is to put some of the very best of our talent on the project.
    Also  here is Howie Shrobe, Vice President of Technology  and
    Teri  Carilli,  recently  promoted  to  manager  of  Software
    Support.   Not here, but of interest to you is  Mark  Truelar
    who has been in charge of all of our hardware operations  and
    has  been  recently promoted to be in charge  of  the  Genera
    Software running on proprietary hardware.  Also, Ron  Benanto
    is  our  CFO  who has done wonders  to  keep  things  running
    smoothly thru turbulent times and even though he isn't  here,
    he is another key member of the team.

    To start out, I'd like to talk about the goals we've achieved
    during  this  past  year.   In spite  of  our  last  quarters
    financial  performance, which looks fairly disappointing,  we
    really have achieved everything else we set out to accomplish
    this  year.   I  don't think we've ever had  a  year  in  our
    history where we've managed to get everything except for  one
    item  done.  We shipped the UX-400, on schedule  last  summer
    and  we're shipping the XL-1200 this month on schedule.   The
    XL-1200, we were absolutely delighted to have met all of  our
    design goals and its currently running at 3.0 times the speed
    of  an  XL-400 or 5 to 6 times the systems performance  of  a
    3640.  We've had announced press releases to that effect  and
    for  some  strange reason, none of you believed us,  but  for
    those  of you following SLUG mail you don't have to take  our
    word  for it because you've seen some of the benchmarks  that
    have  been coming out on that machine.  Particularly the  MIT
    benchmarks  done by the robotics lab, one of the ones  I  was
    very excited about because they were very through.  Not  only
    did  they  benchmark  the  XL-1200  against  other  Symbolics
    machines, but they ran them against all of their Sun machines
    at the same time, and the numbers were pretty clear.   System
    performance  for a large application, 250 seconds on a  3650,
    110  seconds  on  a SPARC Station 1, 80 seconds  on  a  SPARC
    station  4/370 and that 370 had 56 Mbytes of main memory  and
    55 seconds on an XL-1200.  That's a real application,  that's
    system performance, that's MIT guys and they were  skeptical.
    At  the  end of 2 hours of wringing the  machine  out,  their
    final  comment was "Well, it does what you said it did."   He
    was  a  little unnerved at the beginning of  the  first  demo
    because  when we started an application up first on the  3650
    and  the 3650 was about a third into the demo, we started  up
    the XL-1200.  This was one of the first 1200's built, and  it
    went  into  the  debugger.   And one  of  the  guys  jokingly
    mentioned  "if  you  managed to get it out  of  the  debugger
    before  the  3650 finishes, we'll be interested."   Well,  we
    went  into  the debugger, fixed the problem, got out  of  the
    debugger  and finished the benchmark and the 3650  was  still
    computing.   So  we're  not talking  40%  improvement,  we're
    talking   about   a   significant   improvement   in   system
    performance.

    The next major milestone we achieved was the shipment of  the
    Frame-Thrower  image  computing board and  intelligent  frame
    buffer.    This  is a project that has been a  glint  in  Tom
    McMahon's eye for 4 years and cost 2 million dollars for  the
    gate  arrays alone.  It has 11 custom gate arrays on it.   It
    has 1024 bit wide data paths.  Its is an extraordinarily high
    performance image computer and frame buffer.  4 channels  in,
    4  channels  out,  100 Mbits/sec.   These  are  performed  in
    parallel,  one each for red, green, blue and alpha.  It  fits
    on a 9U VME board and runs in one slot in an XL-400 and  will
    pretty soon be available for other machines.  Its based on  4
    years  worth  of experience with the PIXAR and  our  feelings
    that  there  really  was  a  better way  to  do  it,  and  we
    incorporated many of these ideas into the processor.  One  of
    the  most  exciting  features of the  board  is  its  genlock
    circuitry  which is entirely software controlled and we  have
    the only device in the industry which can perform NTSC video,
    PAL,  HDTV  or 601 Digital, and the output of these  are  all
    under  software control.  You can start with one and  upgrade
    down the road as you need to.  In the graphics market,  where
    we're  marketing  this product rather early  at  the  moment,
    peoples reactions at the trade shows has been, first "How can
    you  do that, Nobody can do that" and the second comment  has
    been  "How can you sell your whole bundled machine with  that
    processor  in it for $79,000 when the nearest competition  is
    over $200,000".  This board can also support single color  in
    the  XL-400 and the XL-1200 and has in addition  to  external
    sync on this board, a 3 dimensional geometry chip that  isn't
    currently turned on now but is producing some very very  good
    results  in  our  lab in  producing  high  performance  color
    geometry  manipulation on the screen.  Its running about  the
    speed of a Silicon Graphics Personal IRIS in 3d geometry even
    though  that's not the primary purpose of the board.  So  its
    an impressive piece of hardware.

        For  those of you who have been following Symbolics  over
    the  years,  we've come out with many machines  in  the  past
    couple  of years.  We've come out with tall  machines,  short
    machines, thin machines, fat machines but all about the  same
    speed.   We now have a machine that is very very much  faster
    so you may want to take another look.  We've broken tradition
    here.

        The  next major accomplishment has been Genera 8.0  which
    has  already  been shipped and those of  you  under  software
    maintenance  have  it  by now.  The  major  purpose  of  this
    release  was to re-unify Genera, which we had to divide  into
    pieces  to  provide support for the large number  of  various
    hardware  products.  We managed to get it all  back  together
    again in one compiled system, the same binaries should run on
    all ivory machines.  I hope this is enough to forever put  to
    bed  7.0 in peoples memory.  It probably won't be, the  scars
    seem  to be fairly deep there, but we're really working  hard
    on it.

        In  addition  to  re-unifying Genera,  we  added  a  high
    performance version of CLOS and with it we have a Common Lisp
    developer which has been generalized at your requests a  year
    ago  to not only support development for CLOE on the 386  but
    to support development under ANY Common Lisp platform.   This
    should keep you out of trouble and allow you to deliver  your
    application anywhere.  Also included, was service support for
    multiple ivory boards in Sun servers and we've simplified the
    installation  process  on the Sun boards.  We had  very  very
    ambitiously hoped to include CLIM in Genera 8.0 but given how
    ambitious  CLIM  is and that we also decided  to  break  with
    tradition and work co-operatively with other Lisp vendors  in
    the  market  place, it proved to be too much to get  4  or  5
    companies working together to get a product that wasn't  even
    fully spec'd a year ago into shipment at this point.  We have
    it  running,  it is alive, it is being used by IBM,  FMC  and
    Northern  Telecom and will be included free of charge in  our
    next release of Genera 8.1 so the rumors that CLIM will never
    exist might have been based on sensible data a year ago but I
    can  assure you at this moment, the product exists and  we're
    very  excited about it.  The team of participating  companies
    are  growing  (not shrinking) and we're finally  getting  the
    kind of cooperation needed.   This should have happened years
    ago and perhaps I should apologize for Symbolics role in  the
    past  which was to frankly make it as difficult  as  possible
    for our competitors to work together with us.  We changed our
    mind  on  that and decided since Lisp is the thing,  that  we
    really  needed to pull together to keep this great technology
    going.  This is a very different strategy than what we had  a
    few years ago and CLIM is the cornerstone for that.

      The  final goal we achieved during the past year, the  most
    important one of all to those of us in the Lisp community, we
    managed to get some more successful customers.  Lisp has been
    under a lot  of  attack  these days,  and  in  my  mind  with
    management, the biggest issue is who has used it successfully
    to produce useful applications and the list wasn't very  long
    a  few  years  ago.   There was a  long  list  of  successful
    research  projects  but  not a long list  of  companies  that
    really made their investment in Lisp.  We are really  pleased
    the  list  is longer this year.

        Houston Power and Light is saving 14 million a year  with
    an  interactive  planning  and  scheduling  system  based  on
    Statice  and Genera and they are absolutely delighted.   Dick
    Alfred is an older gentleman with white hair, general manager
    for maintenance at Houston Lighting and Power. If you talk to
    him he starts out by saying that he personally has been doing
    power plant maintenance for the last 200 years and  Symbolics
    was  the first computer and software people that he's  worked
    with  that he hasn't wanted to throw out of his  office.   In
    particular, what they've done, has been to collect all  their
    scheduling  data  off their mainframes, with  our  networking
    ability,  and  put it into Statice.  Looked at it  every  way
    from  Sunday,  using  about 5% AI and  the  rest  traditional
    programming,  have it put into schedules in real  time  using
    Genera  and  the  presentation system to display  it  on  the
    screen.   The interface is so good they can display it  in  a
    War  room  on a wall for their work foremen to  come  in  and
    negotiate  the  schedule.   Based  on  that,  they  do  their
    maintenance  planning for several years in advance.  It  used
    to take them 3 weeks to do their maintenance planning and the
    first  time  they  used the system, they managed  to  do  the
    planning in one day.  The biggest advantage, though has  been
    that  they've never had before very much buy-in  among  their
    people  as  to whether or not they were going to  make  their
    schedule.   In fact, their previous track record  for  making
    the schedule was 15% of the time and that record has now gone
    up  to  85% because of this system.  The reason for  that  is
    because the schedule can be viewed in real time, on the wall,
    with graphical interfaces so the foremen can see what's going
    on.   In  fact, and electrical foreman, the  first  time  the
    system went into production, slipped one of his projects from
    4 days to 7 days and the whole schedule shifted and the power
    went  down and the megawatts went down and the overtime  went
    up  and  he  said  "My God, I had no idea  it  made  so  much
    difference.   You never told me it mattered.  If we have  to,
    my  guys  can  do  it in 3  days."   Big  savings.   Lots  of
    visibility.   In hard times, the first budgets to go, as  you
    probably know, are the research budgets and the last thing to
    go is anything that can save money in operations.  We're  not
    really  building many power plants any more and their  number
    one  budget  item  today is  maintenance.   So  their  really
    anxious to put systems like this into operations.

       Its  interesting  to note that we couldn't  possibly  have
    done  this without the power of Genera.  They showed  me  the
    first  user interface they started with and I looked  at  it.
    Then they showed me the one they are actually using and  they
    visually  looked  the  same to me.  And  I  said, what's  the
    difference.  Why did it take us 50 iterations to go from  the
    first  to the current and they said "Well, we  really  didn't
    know  what  we  wanted."   Then  I  said,  "Well,  whats  the
    difference.  The new one doesn't LOOK much different than the
    old  one" and Alfred said "the difference is we can  USE  the
    new  one  and  we couldn't use the old  one."   Anytime  when
    you"re  talking about a graphical user interface that can  be
    used  by  real  operations  people,  the  ability  to   rapid
    prototype  and  use presentations and work closely  with  the
    user to get it right is priceless.  They wouldn't have paid a
    nickel for the first generation of that system and they saved
    4.2 million dollars using the final iteration.  They now want
    to put a Symbolics computer between them and every  mainframe
    they own so they can get some real work done.

        The second application success story is American Express.
    As  you know, they've been doing a validation system for  the
    Green  and Gold cards using Symbolics machines.  They've  got
    48  3620's approving Green and Gold cards saving  47  million
    dollars.   That is, their computer room is full,  they  don't
    have  any  more space and they need more machines  and  we're
    trying to figure out a way to get some XL-1200's rack mounted
    for  them so they can double their stack.  (Heckler from  the
    audience asked - "Couldn't you get them to remove just one of
    those IBM memory boxes to make room?)  This is IBM's computer
    room,  mind you.  IBM insisted in making a run by  doing  the
    validation  software  for the Optima card  on  the  mainframe
    using Aviance software and they tried very hard but currently
    have  not  succeeded.  Now there's talk of moving  that  card
    over  to the Symbolics as well.  One of the side  effects  of
    the  Symbolics machines is that they're arranged in  a  fault
    tolerant network and it doesn't matter how many of them fail,
    the system will remain running and that's a big plus for  the
    system.  IBM estimated it would take 6 3090's to get the same
    level of fault tolerance.

        The reason I'm talking today about these applications  is
    because I know you guys need help with your management to get
    the  OK to use this technology and I've found  that  examples
    carry a lot of weight with managers.  The next major  success
    story, which we're not going to be able to quote in the press
    just yet is (editor-note:  secret stuff left out).  They  are
    saving  millions  of dollars.

        And finally, on the lighter side, if you attended  Apples
    introduction of the FX Macintosh, the 90 second video playing
    behind  John  Sculley, showing the animation of  the  machine
    converting from the Macintosh CI to the FX was done  entirely
    using  Symbolics Graphics and Paint software.  They  gave  us
    credit  for  the  software  in  the  presentation  by  saying
    "Hardware  by Apple, Software by Symbolics" and when  Sculley
    showed  us the tape when it was finished, I didn't  have  the
    heart to tell him that it was really only their power  supply
    that  was contributing to the video.  Apple is a  fairly  fat
    company (hardware wise) at the moment and at one point,  when
    we  needed  to  do  the rendering and we  wanted  to  use  12
    Macivories  to do the final rendering because they wanted  to
    be  able  to redo it if they wanted to change  anything.   We
    said, "You get 12 Macintoshes and we'll get you 12 MacIvories
    but we'll need a switch to be able to switch a monitor so  we
    can checkup on the computers while their doing the  rendering
    all  night.   They said, "well, we can't get  you  a  switch,
    would  it be ok if we got you twelve 19"  monitors  instead!"
    We said sure.

         Well, those are 5 customers successful in a very big way
    and  they're a lot more successful than they would have  been
    attempting  to run ordinary software on  ordinary  computers.
    As  soon  as  we  can get releases on  some  of  these  other
    customers, we'll get those out to you.  I strongly urge  you,
    if  you've got success stories, that somehow, get  permission
    to  talk  about your particular applications.  From  your  PR
    department  or from ours.  This is a battle of word of  mouth
    to senior management.  These are big successes and every  one
    of these companies will be more competitive because they  are
    using this new technology.  We've got to get the word out and
    maybe the pendulum will swing back the other way.

         In  terms  of  (the size of)  our  company,  I'm  pretty
    pleased  with our list of accomplishments in the  past  year.
    I'd  have been even more pleased if we would have achieved  2
    other goals.  The first one was that we did not meet or sales
    goals on the UX-400, for a variety of reasons.  Last year, we
    asked this group at SLUG how many of you wanted it and a  lot
    of  hands went up.  We asked how many of you could  find  the
    money  and a lot of hands went up.  We asked you how many  of
    you could find a Sun in a hurry to plug it into and a lot  of
    hands  went up.  We didn't get delivery on all  those  hands.
    One  of the problems was we rushed the product out without  a
    Beta  test because we felt it was comparable with the  XL-400
    and  we had some glitches on installation.  We required  tech
    support upon installation which made it difficult, especially
    if   you   were  installing  it  on  a  borrowed   Sun.   Sun
    Microsystems, of course, picked that opportunity to screw  up
    their computer systems and were not able to ship as many  new
    systems.   Also, you guys surprised me by wanting to buy  the
    whole  Sun from Symbolics instead of buying the Sun from  Sun
    and  the  board from us.  We figured a technical  crowd  like
    this would love to put together their own machines and it was
    a shock to us to learn that many of you preferred to buy  the
    complete  system  from  us.   Anyway, that  was  one  of  the
    reasons,  in addition to this wonderful economy we  were  in,
    for  our  financial  losses this quarter  that  set  us  back
    further  than planned.   We expected the UX-400 was not  only
    going to carry us by making it a lot easier for you to deploy
    Symbolics  machines but we hoped it would get us  into  other
    Unix users that were previously not using Symbolics machines.
    Our  impressions  so far were that Unix users are  almost  as
    addicted as we are to our technology and it didn't accomplish
    what we wanted.

        The last goal, which I think we've all failed at is  that
    we haven't attracted new businesses to this technology within
    the  last year.  We've been scratching our brains, trying  to
    do  everything we can think of to figure out how we can  make
    the  product line more successful and the only thing  we  can
    think of is to get more successful applications out there and
    bring in more people that way.  That brings up a very serious
    effect hanging over the heads of us all. Sooner or later  all
    of  you  guys  are going to die off and we have  to  have  an
    adequate  supply of people coming in.  You all are  going  to
    use up the number of lines of code you've got in your body, I
    don't think we'd be able to agree on a number but I think  we
    can all agree that once you get past that (of course, you can
    probably  do  more Lisp lines than you can  assembly  or  "C"
    lines)  but  sooner  or later, you're going  to  exhaust  the
    number  of lines of code in your body and we have to have  an
    additional  supply of people coming in.  Any  suggestions  on
    that score would be very helpful.

       In  terms of future direction of Symbolics, a year ago,  I
    said we were going to concentrate on making our machines very
    much  faster  and  improve  the  software  for  our   current
    customers  and we were going to concentrate on  applications.
    A  year later, in spite of our UX battles, and the stress  of
    bringing  in the revenue every quarter, we are  much  further
    along  on that strategy.  Basically, there are three  or  for
    points to it.

        The first point is that in spite of our TE's efforts,  we
    are not close enough to our customers and our future revision
    of our product has been largely inspired by our perception of
    the technology and we are going to continue to stay on top of
    the  technology and we are trying to bring in new  technology
    to  the world, but at the same time, we're going to get  much
    closer   to  the  customer  and  actually  get  involved   in
    applications  and try to get inspired in future  improvements
    we  make  into  the  system.  In  order  to  do  that,  we've
    established  a list of valued customer we  consider  critical
    and we're going to try to get a lot of people from  Symbolics
    to  work  closely  with  those  people  and  work  under  the
    assumption  that if we make them happy, at least they'll  buy
    it.   If we pick them right, at least the same  stuff  should
    apply to the majority of our other customers.  This is a  big
    cultural change for Symbolics.  We've made a lot of  progress
    in  2  years and we still have about 2 years  more  worth  of
    progress to be made to get where we need to go.

       The  second thing we're going to concentrate very hard  on
    is  applications.   Three  applications,  in  particular   to
    attract new customers.  We're finding it very hard to go head
    to head with "C" Customers and explain why this technology is
    so much better.  Instead, we're going to concentrate on  some
    applications   because  we  can  do  them  better  with   our
    underlying technology.  We're not talking about changing  the
    underlying  technology, but just camouflaging the  technology
    so  people can better understand the underlying design.   The
    applications we have chosen and are working on to support are
    graphics,  hypertext/concordia and interactive  planning  and
    scheduling  based on statice.

        We  picked these applications because we  have  customers
    who  have  been very successful with those  applications  and
    also because they use all of our underlying technology to its
    fullest  and  we  believe  we can  continue  to  evolve  that
    technology.  I observe that Genera was not invented first  as
    a technology, then went out looking for applications.  Genera
    was invented because there was a customer with a real problem
    at MIT in the AI lab and half the AI lab really wanted to  do
    AI  and many of the other half became the Symbolics  founders
    and  they wanted to build systems to help those people do  AI
    (so  they wouldn't have to do AI themselves) and out of  that
    came  hardware and software for doing AI applications at  MIT
    that  turned  out  to  be  real useful  in  a  lot  of  other
    applications.   It  was then relatively straight  forward  to
    build  a company and generalize that approach to  the  world.
    What  we're  going to do in our next generation is  going  to
    concentrate  on  these  three  applications.   Its  been   my
    experience that whenever you put world class developers  that
    close  to  an  application, they solve  much  more  than  the
    application they are given and out of that comes all sorts of
    technology that's useful.

       In  the Graphics area, the three markets that will be  the
    area of attack are first Video Film animation (the first  one
    where  we've  really had our foothold) then  moving  in  from
    there to CAD visulation and then from there into Print  using
    new  High  Resolution High Definition Photo  Retouching.   So
    that should keep us busy for quite awhile.

        On  the  Hypertext  front, we're first  starting  out  by
    selling  Concordia  to other computer companies so  they  can
    have  as good as documentation on line as we have  and  we're
    well  along  with 1 company in particular.  What  has  helped
    this is what I call a no excuses document examiner.  This  is
    the document examiner that runs on a plane vanilla Mac.   Its
    in  "c", has no server, no ivory board, just plain  with  all
    the  capabilities  of  the Document  Examiner.   Anyone  that
    builds  documentation  in  Concordia can  be  sure  they  can
    deliver  that documentation anywhere.  We'll be porting  that
    application to other machines and we're interested in hearing
    from  SLUG  what those other machines should  be.   The  real
    market for Concordia though, since there is a limited  number
    of   people   that   want   to   deliver   on-line   computer
    documentation,  is  in operational decision  support  systems
    that  need a lot of pictures and a lot of data and they  need
    to  retrieve it in a hurry.  In which case, whatever  it  is,
    they  have  to find it and get to it quick.  Alcoa  is  doing
    pioneering  work  there and we're really anxious  to  see  if
    other  customers  can find other applications as  well.   The
    world is on information overload and Concordia is a great use
    of the presentation system and is a great way to display what
    the  Symbolics system can do and we are planning to use  this
    as  a  beach  head  into companies  to  show  them  what  the
    technology can do and then spread out from there.

        Interactive  planning  and  scheduling  uses   everything
    Genera  is  good  at and we've  had  some  really  successful
    applications with Houston Lighting and Power and some airline
    companies.   We're  close to bringing in two or  three  other
    large  airline scheduling systems.  Its interesting that  the
    actual scheduling part of that is only 5% of the application.
    The  rest  of  it is really Genera.   Its  object  orientated
    everything, presentations, Josuha and AI, and the networking.
    So we think its a pretty consistent set of applications  that
    use  all  of  our strengths and can  complement  our  current
    customer base and what we're doing for them.

        In terms of you as our current customer base, we're going
    to speed up our hardware.  Not a single person has yet  asked
    us for slower hardware so we're going to continue to make the
    hardware faster.  In addition to that though, unlike our past
    history  where we have come up with every scheme in the  book
    to  keep  everyone using our proprietary  hardware,  the  big
    change  with  tradition  is  that we  are  not  going  to  be
    depending exclusively on proprietary hardware in the  future.
    I  mentioned our software and delivery focus and you've  seen
    how  much  we've  put into CLOS and CLOE  and  we're  working
    closely with the Unix Lisp vendors so that you can develop on
    Symbolics and deliver ANYWHERE.  We think its very  important
    to put NO obstacles in the path of delivery.  In addition  to
    that,  we've reached a fundamental milestone this  year  with
    CLOS  and  CLIM.   Up  until now,  whenever  I've  asked  our
    developers  couldn't  we every take  the  Genera  development
    environment  and rebuild it so that it would run on  standard
    machines, the answer has always been, "It would be very  very
    expensive  and very very hard."  The story is  changing  with
    CLOS and CLIM.  It is now a whole lot more practical to  make
    these  kinds of capabilities available on standard  machines.
    We  are  in  the midst of a major negotiation  with  a  large
    computer  company  that  I  can't name,  that  is  also  very
    interested in seeing a Genera like development environment be
    their flagship product.  This company has a tradition of only
    settling for brand names and nothing else and is very anxious
    in participating in the funding of this project.  We got  the
    project  down to much more manageable proportions because  of
    CLOS  and CLIM is where they are.  I hope sometime  within  6
    months  you'll be able to hear the specifics of that  so  you
    can  be  sure  that  you'll be able  to  have  the  symbolics
    development  capability  on your favorite  Unix  box  without
    having to add extra hardware.  I suppose I could tell you the
    company has 3 letters in its name but that wouldn't rule  out

    many of the major competitors these days.

         The last thing that Ken Tarpey will go into more  detail
    about, that is part of our strategy, is really a major change
    in our software support by moving it from the west coast back
    to  the  east cost.  It should have never been  on  the  west
    coast  to begin with.  It was moved out there by  a  previous
    management  team  which had a house in Malibu, and  for  some
    strange  reason  that  wasn't the  slightest  bit  technical,
    wanted  to be closer to software support.  We were  reluctant
    to  move it back because we were afraid of changing  so  many
    other things at once and we knew people were being  concerned
    about  service  and  we  were  afraid  of  having  too   many
    disruptions during the change.  At this point, we feel we can
    handle  the change, we've moved it back to Cambridge (I  mean
    Burlington.   We  still  affectionately  referred  to  it  as
    Cambridge)  and we've gotten some very  excellent  developers
    involved  in the support and we're rotating many of the  rest
    of them thru on a weekly basis.  You should see quicker  turn
    around as soon as we get thru this transition period on  some
    of  your  questions because you won't have to  wait  for  the
    delay due to timezones across the coast.  So I would strongly
    urge  you, those of you that are not under software  support,
    to  take  a closer look at it in a month or so, when  we  get
    fully up to speed.  It could be a very economical expenditure
    on your part to get access to some of our best developers  so
    don't  abuse  the privilege and ask for the  best  developers
    only  when  you have hard questions and let anyone  help  you
    with the easy questions and we'll be able to give you  really
    first  class  software support.  We will also learn  a  great
    deal  from you about what we should be doing to  improve  the
    product at the same time.

         I'd  like to review the few points we've gone  over  and
    I've made a list of what I really wanted to get across  today
    and  let me sum it up as quickly as I can.  First of all,  we
    are  here  this week to listen to you, to find out  whats  on
    your mind and to find out what we can do.  If we want Lisp to
    succeed,  one of the ways is for Symbolics to go out and  one
    of  the  ways  we're going to do that is to  listen  to  you.
    We're not here to tell you what we know better than you.   We
    want  to hear from you.  The second thing is, I want to  make
    sure  that  everyone  understands that  the  XL-1200  is  the
    opportunity  of a lifetime to upgrade your machine.   Any  of
    you that don't think you can get the funding for the XL-1200,
    even  though  we've  tried to make it as  easy  as  possible,
    (we've priced it less than a Sun 4/370 and we've allowed  you
    to keep your monitor and mouse and just send the box back and
    we'll  send you a new XL-1200.)  You can practically  justify
    it on your maintenance expenditures but any of you that  have
    very  hostile  management that can't get  approval  for  this
    machine, I strongly urge you to NOT go upstairs and demo  and
    see  this  machine  run.   You  guys  will  make   yourselves
    miserable.   You  guys  spend your lives in  front  of  these
    machines, and this machine is 5 times faster than the machine
    you're probably sitting in front of.  You don't want to  know
    first hand what its like.  Its a little like skiing out  west
    in  the  Rockies.  Once you come out here to ski,  you  never
    want  to ski in the east again.  A couple of words of  advice
    from  the  management  people  I've  been  talking  to   with
    customers, one of which was Jerry Fishman, the number two guy
    at  Analog Devices who happens to be on our board.   I  said,
    Jerry,  we've got this machine that's five times faster  than
    what you've got and are you going to buy any of them.  You've
    got  really old machines and you're buying refurbs.  Are  you
    going to buy any XL-1200's and he said "Yup, I'm not going to
    approve  any of them, but we're going to buy them."    And  I
    said  what  do you mean and he said "Five  times  faster?  My
    people  would  kill me if we took  their  Symbolics  machines
    away.   I  keep  telling  them I'd like to  see  them  go  to
    something cheaper on standard machines, but I can't  convince
    them.   Their  not  going  to ask me,  they'll  find  a  way.
    They'll put it thru the system somehow.  They'll lease it  or
    they'll  do  something else and I'll never see it,  but  come
    back  in 6 months and they'll have XL-1200's, you see."   And
    sure enough, the orders are coming in from Analog Devices and
    Jerry  hasn't signed any of them yet.  When I told Jerry  how
    much he could save on maintenance, even he got interested. So
    take  a good look at that machine.  Very reliable,  very  low
    maintenance,  VME  Bus  based,  Ivory  processor,   plugs  in
    standard peripherals.  So if you're ever going to get cut off
    by  your management, you might as well be cutoff with an  XL-
    1200 instead of a 3600.

         The third thing I want you to understand is that we want
    you  to deliver anywhere you want, any way you want,  whether
    we  make  money in it or not.  We don't want you  to  develop
    applications  and not be able to deliver them.  If you  don't
    deliver on MacIvories and you don't deliver on XL-1200's  and
    you don't run CLOE, I don't care how you do it, DO IT.   Just
    Deliver.   And if you need help from us, we'll help  you  get
    these applications out there delivered.  Get some success  to
    your  bottom line so you can get your budgets up and  we  can
    all  get  the credit and make all of our lives  a   whole lot
    easier.   That's  a change from 2 or 3 years ago but  we  are
    very serious about wanting you to deliver.

         The next point I want to make sure I get across is  that
    We're  very  excited  about  a  development  environment  for
    standard  hardware machines.  We have made a lot of money  in
    the  hardware  business  over the years but  we've  also  got
    ourselves  pretty frustrated.  We tell people  how  wonderful
    our  stuff is and we've always heard this But..But..But.  and
    if  we can get away with decent performance on  the  standard
    machines we'll do it. In the long term, we can then get  this
    technology  into  quite  a few places in  the  world  without
    having to say But.  We are optimistic that if we can  provide
    that  solution  even if its a couple of years out,  that  you
    folks  will  continue to support us and buy machines  in  the
    interim.  When Computer Vision announced that they were going
    to  switch  from proprietary hardware to  standard  hardware,
    everyone  said,  "Ok, I've always been able  to  justify  the
    machines in the short term, it was always the long term  that
    was  killing my management.  Now that I know there is a  long
    term  out there, its ok, so that's fine."  That's what  Jerry
    Fischer  said when I asked him if he could be  excited  about
    having a standard Unix workstation that could be running  the
    Genera  product he said that great.  He said he  could  still
    justify the machines in the short term based on their current
    benefits.

         Another  thing I want to make sure I get across is  that
    nothing succeeds like delivering results.   When I go out and
    visit customers, I can see the customers that are getting new
    money and new applications and new people and their the  ones
    that  have  delivered something.  You go into  a  place  like
    Intel and they have their whole blackboard covered with their
    plan to upgrade their whole machine.  They've got new  people
    coming into the group, their looking to grow 50% this year in
    staffing  and  its because they've got some  real  successful
    applications out there.  That's the key to success.

         Finally  we,  like you really want  this  technology  to
    succeed.   We're  at  least as addicted to  it  as  you  are.
    Everyone  of  our  applications  is  programmed  in   Genera.
    Everyone of our programmers are addicted, none of us wants to
    give up.  We are going to get this technology out there so we
    can use it, so you can use it.  No matter what, its not  just
    a matter of money and our 24,000 share holders, its a  matter
    of  us  and those of us who stuck with it and  those  of  you
    whose stuck with it that want this stuff to succeed.

                                          Thank-you.