Poor Sun timings, as competition...

    Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 11:40 CDT
    From: William D. Gooch <gooch@TIJERAS.SW-SW.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>

	Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 11:24 EDT
	From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

	The sentence immediately before the first one in your quote above was,
	"I brought a tape containing the source to our *Lisp Simulator, and
	compiled and loaded it on the XL1200 in the demo room."  The 14 minute
	time was on the XL1200.  It took 40 minutes on the 3630.

    And you also said it took 19 minutes with the production compiler on the
    Sun.  So, now that the battle is over, who won?

But 5.5 minutes with the development compiler.  During heavy debugging
sessions this is what people use, so the winner in compilation speed is
clear.

	Well, I don't care for the Sun as a development environment, but many of
	our developers get along pretty well.  Most of the Lispm users here had
	been using them since about release 4 or 5, so their work habits didn't
	include use of presentations; therefore, they don't miss the ability to
	click on everything in sight.

    Ignorance is bliss.

Too little too late.

                                                barmar