Re: tail recursion, again

    .... Our code simply will not run on the Symbolics
    without blowing the stack. As a result, my 3645 is nothing but an
    expensive terminal to a Sun.

You are probably already aware that you can grow the stack as needed,
either in a proceed method when the stack blowout happens, or as a
preparatory step before running your programs (perhaps as a cold load
initialization).

Personally, I would prefer that Symbolics not expend any of its limited
resources on developing such things as tail-recursion optimization at
this point, even if it were practical in a technical sense to do so.  I
would rather they stay in business by concentrating on issues that will
pay off by serving the needs of large set of customers instead, even if
that implies a degree of sacrifice for the little guys like me and you.