Re (2): tail recursion, again

Sorry, I should have been more precise. On the Lisp Machine without
tail recursion optimization, our particular recursive functions on our
particular data consumes all available address space with the control
stack. If the debugger stops it a little sooner, fine, but it doesn't
help.  Our code runs fine on the Sun in Lucid or AKCL, both of which
do tail recursion optimization.

The folks from Symbolics explained that a design decision made early
on in the Lisp Machine microcode makes tail recursion optimization
either difficult or impossible.  I sadly accept that.

Larry Smith
Computational Logic, Inc

PS: Thanks for the lively response to my original message.