Re: printing to a unix box

    Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 16:16 EDT
    From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

	Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 11:21:47 EDT
	From: olson@juliet.ll.mit.edu

	Thats correct, of course, but there is much simpler way to load the
	unix-lpd software.  Unix-lpd really has nothing to do with RPC, nothing
	to do with Embedding-Support, and nothing to do with UX-Support.  Just
	load it (the file sys;embedding;ux;unix-lpd) on top of IP-TCP.

	This also applies to the unix-rsh and unix-tape software which can
	be found in the same directory. (Famous last words: I have compiled and
	loaded unix-lpd in the manner described, but I haven't actually used it.)

    This is probably true.  However, there's lots of good stuff in RPC,
    Embedding-Support, and UX-Support, and much of it has little to do with
    embedded systems, except that embedded systems require them.  If you
    have Lispms sharing a network with Suns you'll almost certainly find
    uses for the stuff in these systems.

						    barmar

Actually, on my XL400 (8.0.1, which has the three systems already
loaded) I get the impression that unix-lpd is NOT included in any of
these systems and must be loaded separately anyway.  I had to do what
olson did.

Also,  although  there  is  a   server  for  :unix-rsh  implemented   in
sys...us;unix-protocols, there is no protocol defined for it.  One  plus
with rsh is that it can be made to NOT ask for passwords (at least twixt
unix boxes),  whereas  rexec  ALWAYS  asks  (it  doesn't  make  use of a
connection which lives longer than the individual request like ftp does,
so it doesnt  remember the  password).     On  the other  hand, although
rexec, as implemented, does not  arrange for a bi-directional  stream, I
hacked up some  code which  marginally does  (and I  mean `hacked'  in a
negative sense).   This  allows me  to run  LaTeX on  the sun  w/o using
Terminal, see the output  and answer its  goofy questions (there  is, of
course, a little problem with appropriate ined & echoing :<) Is there  a
better way?

As we do have a bunch of Suns around here and a superficial browsing of
the aforementioned systems didn't flash any lightbulbs above my head;
Can anyone enlighten me as to what useful things I might find there?

Thanks
bruce