nconc

I'm curious,
Does anyone know why nconc is implemented using recursion?
This tends cause our control stack to overflow when we nconc a
large number of lists. (I realize that we can grow it, but it
seems to me that there is no fundamental reason why nconc needs to
be recursive in the first place.)

We ended up taking a few minutes to implement it iteratively
and produced a faster nconc for large numbers of lists than the
original.  It wouldn't take much effort to add the optimizations
so that it was always as fast or faster than the original...

Comments?

Joel Riedesel