Re: "Pending Notifications" problem in 8.0

    Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 17:38:37 EDT
    From: orgren@RTC.Reston.Unisys.COM (Paul Orgren)

	Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 22:20 EDT
	From: RWK@fuji.ila.com (Robert W. Kerns)

	    Date: Mon, 15 Oct 1990 11:41-0400
	    From: Dodds@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com (Douglas Dodds)

	    TV:NOTIFY is in SYS:WINDOW;NOTIFICATION ...

	...this ... is arguably the single
	most brain-dead part of the system's UI.

    Just having gone through loading Genera 8.0, I would argue that the
    "Restore Distribution" is about the most brain-dead part.  We have
    only 3600-class machines here, with neither the need nor the file
    space to store Ivory-only files.  To de-select .IBIN files and
    Ivory-only systems took about 10 seconds per individual file and
    50-90 seconds per complete system; it also took 20 to 30 seconds
    just to go the next page.  All of this had to be done manually;
    it took over 2 hours just to specify that we did not want any Ivory-
    specific files restored from the tape!

This worked better for me when I started from the bottom of the list and
worked my way up toward the top, rather than top-to-bottom.  The
redisplay after removing a system or file from the list is significantly
faster this way, especially if you are only interested in loading a
small portion of the stuff on the tape.

As far as the worst part of the UI is concerned, my vote goes to
incremental redisplay.