postscript files

I recently saw a note claiming that the basic system knows how to make
Postscript.  But you need to buy something extra to drive certain printers.

I need to simply make a postscript file.  I could either run my (small)
program, which outputs to a window, then do a window dump to a postscript
file, or I could alter my program to direct its output to a different stream.
The only I/O operations I do on this stream are draw-rectangle, with a :fill
option.

Is this easy to do?

Jay Pittman
MCC