Multiple Primary Namespace Servers

    Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91  15:47:21 EST
    From: delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney)

    All right, I give up! If it was an IQ test, I flunked. Now would
    somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong...

You're just assuming that things should work the way they seem they
should.  Multiple primary servers has never worked.

    So how do I set things up so the !@#$%^& Symbolics machines will use A
    or H as a primary namespace server, especially at boot time, depending
    on which it can find up at the critical moment?

You have a couple of options:

1.  Use domains instead of the namespace system.

2.  Make two namespaces, one on each side of the on-again-off-again
    link.  Put the primary namespace server for the "site" on the right
    side of the link.  Make each namespace server be a secondary server
    for the other namespace.  You have to make the networks the same on
    both sides (I think they have to have the same global name for this
    to work; it used to be that they had to be EQ, which was really hard
    to get right).  Then, boot each primary namespace server, do

  (neti:find-site the-other-site)

    on each.  There is probably some documentation for how to do this in
    volume 0, but I haven't got the documentation set, nor the online
    files (no disk space).