more ?s about the XL3600 ...

    Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 16:50 PST
    From: Kanef@CHARON.arc.nasa.gov (Bob Kanefsky)

    If UN*X is sensitive to the case of written commands, then surely future
    state-of-the-art UN*X environments that understand spoken commands will be
    tone-sensitive, like Asian languages in which a different tone makes it a
    different word (especially if future computers all come from Japan).  Of
    course, that means that UN*X users (in the West at least) will adopt a
    convention that all commands must be given in a monotone to avoid confusion,
    just as today the convention is to use lowercase only.  And just as UN*X users
    go on typing in lower case when they mention the name of a user, host, or file
    in a mail message that only has to be read by a human being, they'll get in
    the habit of speaking in a monotone for all communication.

					    --Kanef

WHILE MONOTONE MIGHT EVENTUALLY PUT ME TO SLEEP, IF I HAD TO YELL AND BE
YELLED AT ALL THE TIME, I THINK MY NERVES WOULD BE SHOT IN NO TIME.
MAYBE THAT'S WHY WE WERE SO GLAD TO SEE IBM STOP MAKING PUNCH CARDS A
FEW YEARS AGO.

on the Other Hand, in My Personal Code I've Gotten into the Annoying
Habit of Capitalizing Everthing Except Articles and Prepositions.  It's
Compulsive Obsessive Behavior, but I Feel It Makes for More Readability
in Code, if Not Free Text - though to Some People it Can Be as
Distracting as an Affected British Accent.