Color alternatives on Symbolics

    Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1991 13:36-0500
    From: Charles Hornig <Hornig@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    screen.  You use an X window manager to select between different
    screens.

This brings up a source of confusion for me:  Where is the X terminal
getting all of the information and guidance it needs?  If I use a Sun
workstation as an X graphics server, for example, the X window manager
runs on the Sun; fonts are read off the Sun's file system; the server's
Internet address is the address of the Sun host; access permissions are
set via Sun programs such as 'xhost'; graphics parameters are set from
startup files in the Sun's file system; etc.  On a simple X terminal
acting as a graphics server for the Symbolics, who/what is providing all
this X support?  If the Symbolics itself, is there documentation as to
how to configure and administer an X terminal from the Symbolics?
(Perhaps I don't understand enough of how X functionality is divided up
among roles.)

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com