RPC between machines

   Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 17:41:37 +0900
   From: kddlab!atr-la.atr.co.jp!myers@uunet.UU.NET (John K. Myers)

   I would like to set things up so that XL01, an XL machine, can call
   specific functions remotely on both LM02, a 3620, and LM03, a MacIvory,
   at will.  I see no arguments in the Book 13 RPC definition that suggest
   which machine the function should run on.  How can I do this?

You specify the host when you create the transport agent, which you then
pass to the RPC function with the :TRANSPORT-AGENT option.  A call to an
RPC function would normally look like:

(function-name arg1 arg2 ... argN
  :transport-agent (rpc:host-udp-transport-agent
		      (net:parse-host 'hostname)))

   Also, is it possible for a Genera 7 3620 to run RPC calls?
   Is there a better way to do this?

In Genera 7.2, RPC was included as part of the NFS layered product.
However, the programming interface was completely different in that
implementation.  It also only supported RPC over UDP.