Exabyte for LMFS backup

I've noticed that several people are using exabytes for LMFS backups.  I
have a comment and a question regarding this.

The comment (actually a warning):  Don't try this with the exabyte on a
Sun running 4.1.1.  It will crash your sun!

The question:  What is the proper bpi to use for a LMFS backup?  I've
tried 54,000 (as stated in Sun's doc) but a complete backup still wants
to use more than one tape for 500 MB of data.  I've also tried 43,200
bpi.  But, the backup is still > 1 tape.

Any help would be appreciated.

                              Bill Arbaugh