disks: Symbolics' can't handle power outage?

We seem to have a lot of trouble with disks on Symbolics' when the power
goes out.  The last 3 times power went, a disk (or two) was corrupted each
time.  We have Suns, SGIs, HPs plugged into the same lines, and NONE of
their disks were messed up, even though we have 10x more of them than Symb.

What does it mean when it says "disk not ready on unit select".  After the
last power outage we have a disk that always says that.  We have another
that says that when you first turn the power on, but starts working again
when you do a "reset".  Why would that be?  The most common problem is just
bunches of sectors that can't be read.

Bill <bouma@cs.purdue.edu>