[no subject]

    Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1991 10:02 PDT
    From: swink@stephens.tisl.ukans.edu (Michael T. Swink)

    Everyone,
	 We are operating Genera 8.0.1 on a SUN computer running SunOS 4.1 with
    a symbolics board attached.  While running in the genera environment if the
    user tries to use the "login command" or the "show file" command among others,
    Genera gives the error:

     Show File (file) STEPHENS /usr2/quotes
     Error: Request to STEPHENS for a 1124+59(:NFILE) connection was refused.
	    No reason was given.

I doubt that a Sun knows how to deal with the NFILE protocol.  It's
refusing the connection because it doesn't have any way to deal with
NFILE.

    The only related occurance that I can find when working with genera happens
    when genera is first booted.
    Error that occurs in cold load stream:

     STEPHENS does no support FILE service through any locally supported protocol.
     It supports only TCP-FTP via TCP, NFS via UDP, NFS via UDP.
     The local host supports only NFS via UDP, TCP-FTP via TCP, TFTP via UDP, QFILE
	    via CHAOS, NFILE via BYTE-STREAM-WITH-MARK.
     No path could be found for TCP-FTP via TCP, NFS via UDP, NFS via UDP.
     Use protocol TFTP on medium UDP (Y or N) Yes.
     STEPHENS does not support FILE service through any locally supported protocal.
     Use protocol NFILE on medium TCP? (Y or N) Yes.

    After typing 'yes' to the NFILE option, genera brings up the console window.
    However, if 'no' is typed to the TFTP option, then a 'yes' answer to the NFILE
    question causes genera to ask about protocol TFTP again, and when a 'yes'
    answer is given this time the console window appears.  This tells me that
    neither protocol is being implemented.

Sounds like it's trying to open two connections.  TFTP will work, as
will TCP-FTP and NFS.  Note that the Sun won't allow file access without
some administrative work; it must be configured so that your Symbolics
has file access.  For TCP-FTP this means Telnet access must be enabled,
for NFS the file /etc/exports must mention your Symbolics either by name
or as part of a NIS (formerly YP) net group.

    Any help on how to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated.

You need to add the appropriate service entries to STEPHENS's namespace
object, then save a world load with this information cached.  This
should all be documented in the Software Installation Guide, the Site
Operations book, or the UX400s/UX1200s User's Manual.

BTW, this message was sent from a UX1200s.  This thing is great, if a
bit of a bear to install!

 -- Chuck Fry  Chucko@charon.arc.nasa.gov