1200 tapes for siggraph

    Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1991 20:59 PDT
    From: miller@FS1.cam.nist.gov (Bruce R. Miller)

	Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1991 23:03 EDT
	From: klockner@hardy.u.washington.edu (John Klockner)

	in trying to prepare our stuff (last minute naturally) for siggraph,
	we're trying to create a tape on a 1200.

You don't say if you are using an XL1200 or a UX1200S.  For the UX, the
host tape is typically accessed as st0.  This is documented in the section
Summary of the Symbolics UX Network Services.  I think it stands for SCSI
Tape 0, and might vary with your site.  Consult your Unix administrator.

	what tape spec are we supposed to use?  we have tried the usual
	local:cart  but the machine reports thatthere is no local tape.

For an XL1200, Bruce's solution below should work: (tape:find-tape-drives T).
Specifying cart usually works.  What you should really use, though, is SCSI1n0,
where n is the SCSI address (probably 1 for an XL's internal tape drive). This
allows you to distinguish between multiple SCSI tape drives.

	any pointers before tomorrow's flight will be extremely appreciated.

	thanks in advance,
	klockner

    OOOOhhhh! Hope this gets there in time!

    Most likely the tape drive was off (or didn't respond quickly enough,
    or...?) when the machine was booted.  The XL's check for SCSI devices
    at bootup, or soon thereafter, and caches the devices it finds.  Once
    it's done it it wont check again.
    Check
       TAPE:*TAPE-DRIVES-CACHED*
    it's probably T and
       TAPE:*CACHED-TAPE-DRIVES*
    probably doesn't include something like:
      #<CLI::3M-MCD-40-SCSI-TAPE-DRIVE 140020720>

    If this is the case, you can just set the former to nil and try again.
    Perhaps the Formal solution is to call this?
      (tape:find-tape-drives T)
    Good luck and fun at Siggraph