backing up to scsi disk?

    Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1991 18:33 EDT
    From: drstrip@cs.sandia.gov (David R. Strip)

    The MacIntosh users here have a cartridge type scsi disk that
    they carry from machine to machine to do backups. Is there someo
    way to use this on the xl? Obviously I can hook it up, and the
    docs explain pretty well how to go about putting a FEP file
    system on it, but how about a lmfs, or preferably a tape image
    of a backup file?

Actually, what would be nice would be an option to dump and restore
to/from ordinary files.  I could then dump to an ordinary Unix file or a
file on our optical disk jukebox.  I once tried to make use of some of
the code I saw in the dumper source to redirect the dumper stream to a
file stream, but it didn't work; the dumper sends messages that are only
implemented by the tape stream flavors.

As for putting a LMFS on the SCSI disk, if you can put a FEP file system
on it then you can put a LMFS in that FEP file system.  Unfortunately,
you can't do this on a machine that already has a LMFS, because Genera
doesn't support multiple LMFS file systems on one system (it supports a
single LMFS split into multiple partitions).

                                                barmar